Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Dagwood with Gazpacho

I´ll start the ball rolling with an overly-simple meal, which really can't even be considered a recipe per se. But if I set the bar low to begin with, it can only go up from here, right? Besides, this particular meal is a good glimpse into my current stage in life: a mix of American and Spanish classical fare.


The sandwich is a triple-decker, which my dad calls a Dagwood. (If you've never read Blondie - especially the Sunday 'funny pages' edition - you've missed out) You may wonder: what's so special about a sandwich? Well, for Spaniards the sandwich is a very different concept (ie., minus the lettuce, tomato and the multitude of other things we slap on), and never eaten as a lunch meal. Maybe now I can convince it's worthy!


Alongside is a Spanish classic, Gazpacho. Most Americans have a cold chill run down their spine at the mention of cold soup, but believe me - this is the perfect refreshing side to combat the hot Andalusian summer days. On beach days, I guarantee I'm packin'.


Dagwood Sandwich

Ugly pic, Great sammich
  • 3 to 8 slices of bread
  • cold-cut pork slices (don't ask me, my mother-in-law made this, and it's just plain good)
  • mayo
  • mild cheese
  • sundry lettuce types
  • tomato
Nothing fancy here, just slap it together any which way. Your basic American do-it-yourself sandwich, built 2 or more stories tall.


Gazpacho

Gazpacho
  • 1 mini-carton of gazpacho, served extra-cold with a straw
Ok, so this is a big let-down to every traditional Spanish mom - "You did WHAT? Bought it at the store??? That's the easiest thing in the world to make! Mine is 100 times better! Come over to my house and I'll show you some real gazpacho!" Alas, store-bought is quick 'n easy, what can I say.


The best advice for the gazpacho-shy: never think of it as soup. Erase this concept from your mind, and picture it as a V8 that actually tastes good. No, strike that - that's even worse. Well, all I can say is try it once, homemade, on a hot day, then make your mind up. Maybe someday I'll get around to posting the recipe.


UPDATE: This was sooner than expected - Gazpacho recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment